HR at Mercom Communication India
Views:371 Applications:0 Rec. Actions:Recruiter Actions:0
Mercom Communications - Web & Magazine Editor (3-5 yrs)
- Mercom India is looking for copy editors with experience in news publications (digital and print) to join its growing team. Our publications need an editor to help us ensure that content is readable, accurate and ready for publication, completing tasks such as fact checking, writing headlines, editing for grammar, spelling, and following style guide.
- We are looking for an Editor that wants to be part of a dynamic online and print news organization focused on renewable and clean technologies in India, and who is excited to be part of the solution and change in India's energy and environmental future.
- The ideal candidate will have experience in the energy and business sector in India and will be able to analyze data, news, and trends required to develop original content. The candidate will ensure that articles, reports and other materials are free of errors, easy to read, and conform to the publication's style. The candidate must have a passion for writing, a sharp eye for detail, and the ability to work well under pressure.
- The ideal candidate will have at least 2-3 years of editing experience and is excited to be part of the new and dynamic sector that is India's renewable energy growth story. The candidate will be responsible for:
- Assigning and editing stories based on the interest of Mercom India's research, market intelligence, and online audience
- Manage Mercom India's homepage
- Oversee breaking news coverage
- Use web analytics to monitor reader engagement
- Ensure best practices for web publishing per Mercom guidelines when working with reporters
- Manage the editing process by fixing any grammatical, punctuation and spelling errors. Double check that names, places and
organizations are spelled properly and facts, dates and statistics are accurate and adhere to Associated Press (AP) style guide.
- Write headlines and subheads for articles and for print publication, create page layouts that consist of article placement,photographs and advertisements.
- Experience working in an online news environment
- Superior editorial judgment
- Ability to line-edit stories and develop story ideas with reporters
- Skilled in publishing stories that are impactful and compelling online
- Proven ability to write web-friendly headlines
- Ability to leverage multimedia content to enhance stories and user experience, clarifying details with reporters when necessary.
- Writing or adjusting headlines for each article and/or writing introductory paragraphs to ensure stories are written in Mercom's style and requirements
- Editors are also expected to write complete news articles during down time.
- Must have experience using social media to find and promote stories
- Familiarity with content management systems, photo editing software and web analytics tools preferred
- Excellent written English, including good spelling and grammar
- Must have an eye for detail and be very accurate in following writing guidelines
- Be able to make decisions, work under pressure, meet deadlines, and have the ability to maintain a high quality of work while meeting tight deadlines
- Be prepared to work long hours as required.
- The candidate should have an eagerness to learn and adapt to new situations and different environments
- Must be able to travel occasionally anywhere in India
- Must be strong in ethical values and social conduct
- Must be an excellent fact checker and should have the ability to verify all the news items from various sources
- Must be proactive and able to work independently
- Must be organized, able to meet deadlines and juggle various tasks, while at the same time maintaining a high level of attention to detail and sustain overall quality
- Must be creative, flexible and willing to do what it takes to deliver a finished product