Operations Manager at Centre for Civil Society
Views:337 Applications:52 Rec. Actions:Recruiter Actions:14
Centre for Civil Society - Senior Manager - Market Research (6-8 yrs)
Centre for Civil Society (CCS) is recruiting a committed and passionate (Senior) Research Manager based in New Delhi to manage research initiatives on education reforms in school and higher education sectors, barriers to livelihoods and entrepreneurship, and quality of regulatory governance.
CCS is an independent public policy think tank based in New Delhi. Our work in education, livelihood, and policy training promotes choice and accountability across private and public sectors. To translate policy into practice, we engage with policy and opinion leaders through research, pilot projects and advocacy.
Over the last many years, CCS- research team has built a reputation for shining light on the dark recesses of governance: collecting and analysing data through primary surveys, ethnographic studies, public datasets and administrative data, and RTI applications, compiling legal and legislative analysis; testing the validity of innovative governance tools through pilot projects; and proposing a redesign of existing regulatory frameworks.
Our work :
In education, we focus on regulatory and governance reforms, particularly the uncoupling of service delivery, financing and regulatory functions of the government (centre/state level) based on data, and informed analysis to reinstate choice, quality and accountability in education. In livelihoods, we focus on fostering greater economic freedom and improving the ease of doing business for micro, small and medium enterprises.
Examples of our research outputs :
- In 2019 we studied the regulatory interface between government and private schools by analysing administrative data on licensing, fee regulation and inspections to understand the challenges of starting and operating private schools in northern India.
- In 2019, we developed a quality of regulation checklist and are assembling a dataset to measure the volume and complexity of regulation across India.
- In 2018 we examined the ground realities of the ease of doing business effort at the state level in Delhi producing 7 distinct papers using a combination of primary surveys, time and motion studies and investigative journalism.
- In 2017 and 2019, we conducted a deep study of progress in implementing the Street Vendors Act using case law analysis, and analysis of state level data.
- We have conducted multiple pilot projects to test the design and application of vouchers for school and skill education, inclusive education using 25% RTE reserved seats, school quality improvement mechanisms etc.
- Over the years, we have produced over 250 research papers on different problems in the school and higher education sectors and on the challenges facing micro, small and medium entrepreneurs using observational studies and primary data collection.
- Researchers at CCS have sharp analytical and critical thinking abilities, and curiosity about the interplay between government, citizens, markets and civil society. A (Senior) Research Manager at CCS leads and execute projects in our areas of interest. The role requires the ability to formulate research questions, apply research methods, generate insights through data analysis, produce winning deliverables, and engage with varied stakeholders. The role requires strong leadership and problem-solving skills to respond to emerging policy challenges at the national and state level.
- As (Senior) Research Manager, you will lead and execute projects on education reforms including public expenditure on schooling, regulation of private schools, higher education reforms, and on barriers to livelihoods and entrepreneurship. You will work closely with other members of the research team but also have the opportunity to participate in conversations on policy and politics with senior management. Your key responsibility will be to deliver research reports, working papers, policy briefs and opinion articles. While this is primarily a research role, your other responsibilities may include writing proposals, project management, and providing inputs to colleagues on strategy and process management. You should have demonstrated skills in research, writing and communication. You should be energetic, proactive, able to work independently and collaboratively as needed, and possesses both integrity and the humility to seek advice when needed.
- Lead/Manage projects on regulatory reforms and governance in education and livelihoods within agreed timelines, keeping in mind the quality and impact indicators set for the team
- Construct hypothesis
- Design and develop methodologies
- Assume responsibilities for project planning, literature reviews, data collection/mining, analysis and documentation
- Ensure that data collected through research tools are complete, accurate and comprehensive
- Oversee data analysis and visualization
- Manage contracts with external partners for project implementation
- Produce high-quality succinct error-free and visually powerful research outputs of different lengths and for different audiences: academic papers, short policy briefs, op-eds, blogs etc.
- Productize existing knowledge by drafting research summaries, policy briefs, recommendations, and presentations, for external stakeholders including government
- Write op-eds and commentaries on our research and contemporary issues
- Create and manage a database of academic and policy journals and engage for publication of CCS research
- Remain current on developments in CCS- areas of work
- Monitor, analyze, and report on emerging policy issues
- Maintain knowledge of government policy decisions
- Conduct quick market scans for policy responsiveness
- Partner with the communication and advocacy teams to disseminate research findings to stakeholders in the policy making ecosystem, including the media support dialogues, workshops, and conferences on the research outputs
- Work with Associate Directors/Director of Research to execute research agenda and develop new research projects
- Hire, manage and appraise Research Associates, interns and external researchers.
Experience and Education
- MA/MSc Economics/Statistics/Political Science/Political Economy/Public Policy
- 5-9 years experience in a research role with a think tank, research institution or consulting firm
Manager: At least 5 years of research experience and 1 year of experience managing teams and leading research initiatives
Senior Manager: At least 7 years of research experience and 3 years managing teams and leading research initiatives
- Published/unpublished academic research at master's level at least (journal publications, academic/course papers, reports, op-eds in own name etc) on issues relating to education governance, public finance, regulation of private schools etc.
-Proficiency and experience in at least two of the following research methods:
- Running primary surveys (questionnaire design and digital data collection), response coding, and analysis of quantitative responses
- NWorking with large datasets (eg. NSSO, CMIE's household or firm data, Government of India's U-DISE raw data)
- Working with government administrative data (IT system logs, inspection reports, grievance logs, etc)
- Conducting case studies, by studying a subsection of an issue in depth and conducting qualitative stakeholder interviews.
- Experience in managing project budgets, team goals, and project/programme timelines
- NExperience in using R and LaTex (Python programming skills are a bonus).
Skills and Competencies :
- Demonstrated proficiency in high-quality succinct error-free writing in English (Proficiency in reading and writing in Hindi is a bonus)
- Proficiency in copy editing and writing and ability to present research findings and recommendations in a captivating and journalistic manner
- Ability to engage actively with researchers in India and around the world
- Ability to communicate research content effectively, both orally and in writing, in English, to government partners, policy influencers, team members, researchers, partner organisations and donors;
- Ability to process vast amounts of information and generate useful insights quickly;
- Ability to think through problems with clarity and deductive/inductive reasoning
- Competence with different research methodologies and standards of academic rigour
- Ability to work simultaneously on different projects, break up projects into smaller modules, delegate appropriately and aggregate into a coherent research output and
- Up to date knowledge of the Indian policy process and political landscape.
- Liberal bent of mind, with a commitment to a safe working environment for team members
- Openness to ideas and debate
- Have a robust (and not fragile) ego
- Ambition to make an impact on the world and leave a mark, and not just to do a good enough job
- Ability to generate goodwill with working partners and resolve conflicts at the earliest through transparent communication
- Relentless pursuit of excellence, self-reflection, and commitment to honest feedback
- Deep comfort with an environment that prizes collaborative technologies (basecamp, g-drive, e-meet, Github etc) (not necessary to be conversant, but must enjoy).
MORE DETAILS :
- This role will be based out of CCS- office in Delhi. Frequent travel around India with potential for international travel to partners and conferences will be expected.
- CCS recognizes that the right candidate will have a significant impact on the success of the organization and will offer an attractive compensation package for the non-profit sector, commensurate with experience.
- Candidates who are qualified should apply using this link. Applicants must attach an updated CV, a cover letter, at least 2 publications (solo or co-authored), and 2 references. Selected candidates will be called for interviews. Qualified candidates should apply